So in the spirit of Christmas, I decided to make a couple of snowman Christmas bulbs for the tree. They're super easy to make for little gifts and really don't take a super long time to make.
Here's what you need:
- Clear, round glass bulbs (the ones you can decorate yourself). And just a heads up: You can get a pack of them from Michael's usually 50% off every so often :).
- Black paint marker
- Orange paint marker
- Fake snow, cotton balls, white glitter, or snowflake sprinkles (I used iridescent ones)
- Black felt
- Top hat pattern
- Glue/Modge Podge
- Glue gun & glue sticks
What to do… Start with the snowman face first:
1. Take the top off the clear bulb.
2. Fill it with snowflake sprinkles. You'll either need a funnel or a piece of paper that you can fold into a funnel-like shape. This was the part that I found took quite a while (especially with a large bulb…..). Place the top back on the clear bulb like so:
|This is what the bulb should look like once it's filled with snowflakes|
3. Take your black paint marker and paint on the eyes and mouth.
4. Take your orange paint marker and paint on the carrot nose.
5. Let it dry for a few minutes. You don't want the paint to smudge.
|Here's one of the snowmen faces|
Next up… The top hat:
1. Take the pattern and print it out on card stock (this is going to be a part of the actual top hat).
2. Cut out the pattern.
3. Place each part of the pattern on top of the black felt and cut out.
4. Now trim down the pattern to where it says on the card stock.
|This is what it should look like once your card stock patterns are glued onto the felt cutouts.|
5. Glue down each piece of card stock onto its matching felt piece. Let it dry for about 1/2 hour.
6. Roll the body of the top hat up, and glue with the glue gun where both sides line up. Hold for a minute.
7. Glue the bottom of the top hat to the bottom of the body of the top hat.
8. Place the top hat onto the top of the bulb. Attach an ornament hook to the top of the bulb and pull through the top of the hat.
9. Poke the ornament hook through the middle of the top of the top hat.
10. Glue the top of the top hat to the body of the top hat.
11. Glue the top hat onto the head of the snowman.
And you're done! They are ready to hang up on the tree! Easy, no?